Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 425-276-7677
College Tuition Exclusively Focused on Family Law

Planning for Your Child's College Education

Divorce or no divorce, you want your child to go to the college that is right for him or her. But splitting up with the child's other parent can significantly impact the options for paying tuition.

It is important to recognize this fact early on, so that you take account of it when planning for your divorce settlement. At the Alpine Family Law, we can use our many years of experience to guide you through the process of protecting your rights and planning your post-divorce finances, including the question of college tuition payments.

Give us a call today to schedule a time to talk about your specific situation with a skilled attorney. From our offices in Redmond Town Center, we serve clients on the Eastside and throughout Greater Seattle.

How Will You Help Your Child Pay For College?

By the time a child is ready for college, child support payments generally stop. This is because, in Washington as in other states, your child has reached the age of emancipation.

But does this mean that your ex-spouse has no legal obligation to help pay for your child's post-secondary education?

The answer depends in part on what the terms of your divorce settlement are. Generally, there is no legal requirement that a parent pay a child's college tuition. But it is possible to include such an obligation in your divorce settlement, so that your ex doesn't just walk away financially without helping your kid get through college.

Our firm can help you address this question clear-sightedly and guide you toward a solution that makes sense for you and your family. We could, for example, set up an escrow account or trust fund for college tuition purposes. In many cases, such an arrangement may be preferable to a lump-sum payment. But this of course depends on your specific situation.

Get The Legal Counsel You Need To Make Good Decisions

Let us help you think this through and do what is best for all concerned, especially your child. 

To schedule a confidential consultation with an experienced lawyer at our firm, call (425) 276-7677. Or, if you prefer, complete the online form.

Contact Alpine Family Law Today!

A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy