Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 425-276-7677
Out-of-State Relocation Exclusively Focused on Family Law

Out-of-State Relocation

While they have the freedom to move, custodial parents must still abide by the law in relocating their children out of state. Laws — specifically the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) that is effective in every state — protect noncustodial parents from such actions.

Prior to relocating a child during or following a divorce, you need to seek legal advice from an attorney who will educate you on your ability to move with a custody order in place. At Alpine Family Law, we can advise you on the specific legal steps necessary and deadlines to follow regarding pursuing or preventing relocation of your child outside of Washington.

We encourage you to get in touch today to discuss your specific case in a confidential consultation. Our firm serves clients on the Eastside and throughout the Seattle area.

Protecting The Rights Of Parents And The Best Interests Of Children

The children's well-being comes first. Reasons for proposing or disputing relocation must be in good faith, including a job transfer, better employment opportunities or a lower cost of living. Financial impact and logistics must be taken into account as well. Additional factors are considered in relocations and include:

  • The child's relationship with each parent, siblings and others
  • Possible disruption in the contact between the child and the custodial parent compared to the child and the noncustodial parent
  • Age and needs of the children and the impact of relocation or no relocation on physical, educational and emotional development, including any special needs
  • The child's quality of life in current and proposed future locations, including education, family support network and other opportunities
  • Alternative arrangements to facilitate continuing relationships between the child and the noncustodial parent

Contact An Experienced Attorney About Your Parental Relocation Issue

For more information on out-of-state relocations, contact an out-of-state custody lawyer at Alpine Family Law for an initial consultation. Call (425) 276-7677. Or, if you prefer, you may contact our firm online.

Contact Alpine Family Law Today!

A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy