Redmond Minor Guardianship Attorney
Helping to Protect Washington’s Vulnerable Children
Situations sadly arise when children can lose their parents to illness, injury, addiction, incapacity or death. A Minor Guardianship is a legal arrangement created when a court appoints a guardian for a minor child when one or more of the following is true:
- Each parent of the minor agrees to the guardianship after being informed; or
- All parental rights have been terminated; or
- There is clear and convincing evidence that no parent of the minor is able to perform functions necessary for the care and grown of the child, as outlined in RCW 26.09.004.
Who Can Be a Minor Guardian?
A guardian is required to meet specific qualifications, which include:
- Must be 21 years of age
- Free of criminal convictions involving neglect, dishonesty, use of force, weapons or any other crimes related to a guardian’s responsibilities, with some limited exceptions.
- Completed training offered by the administrative office of the courts, offered at no cost: Washington State Courts - Guardian Portal
At Alpine Family Law, P.S., we can assist with navigating through the complex legal process for establishing a minor guardianship, as detailed in Washington State’s Minor Guardianship Law, RCW 11.130.
- We will assist you in preparing and filing a petition, as well as related documents to start the process for having the court appoint a guardian for the minor(s), and provide notice to any involved parties.
- If there is an emergency, we can assist you in requesting an appointment of an emergency guardian if a minor’s health, safety or welfare in immediate jeopardy. This must be filed with the court, along with a petition for a long-term guardianship.
- We will coordinate background checks that are required by the court, as well as preparing an Acceptance of Appointment, and procuring Letters of Office.
To arrange a confidential consultation with our experienced minor guardianship lawyers, please give us a call at (425) 276-7677 today.
Skilled Legal Counsel for Minor Guardianship Cases in Redmond
Children need caring adults in their lives. Children are more likely to do well in school, stay out of trouble, and enjoy a brighter future when they have loving adult relationships. Parents ideally provide a nurturing and loving home for their children. When that does not happen, a guardian may be necessary.
Our experienced minor guardianship lawyers at Alpine Family Law can help concerned adults step up to care for children in need.
Helpful News & Info
Family Law FAQs